-Director General (Research and Innovation)
-Professor (Mechanics and Materials), Institute of Space Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan
-Honorary Professor; Australian Institute of High Energetic Materials (AIHEM), Monash, Australia.
-Ace Professor; University of Engineering & Technology (UET), Faculty of Mechanical & Aeronautical Engineering, Taxila, Pakistan.
Achievements: To promote research culture in the institute through close collaboration with engineering industries, incubation of TRL-3+ technologies, establishing SMEs through value addition for commercialization of composites/ nanocomposites technologies according to NASA TRLs in collaboration with AIHEM. Established Advanced Composites and Smart Structures Laboratory at UET for carrying out research about nanocomposites. Developing predictive tests to support material selection, composite design, product development, commercialization and customer validation. Developing new materials, specifically fiber reinforcements, resin systems and processing techniques to improve quality and efficiency of materials, testing procedures, and equipment for Quality product development. Widespread dissemination of knowledge through successful conduct of workshops, seminars and conferences to attract the people from industry, academia and public sector on a single platform for launching composites research projects; http://www.jeccomposites.com/news/composites-news/pakistani-institute-space-technology-introduces-its-composite-material-technolo
-Deputy Director General (Composite Materials), Composite Technology Expert, Senior Director, Chief Engineer, Founding Director, Technical Consultant, Nov 2001 – Aug 2013
Advanced Composites Research Center, Advanced Engineering Research Organization, Wah Cantt.
National Engineering and Scientific Commission, Wah Cantt, Pakistan.
Achievements: Pioneered establishment of fully functional, purpose built, AS 9100C certified, 35000 sq. ft.
Center of Advanced Composite Materials as Founding Director. Successfully developed the structural systems of UAVs, aerospace vehicles, automotive vehicles (Formula-1/ Economy), windmill blades, bullet proof jackets, PASGAT helmets (NIJ Level-IV, III, IIIA), antennas, radoms (EM loss< 1Db), payload stations. They were developed from carbon, glass, kevlar and polyethylene fibers and nomax/ polyurethane sandwich by affordable process i.e. RFI, VARTM etc according to NASA TRLs. This involved design validation, materials selection, process optimization, mechanical testing, prototype development and pre production qualification of wings, fuselage, canard, fins, nose cone, fuel tank, covers and cowlings to full scale production by building block approach. Refurbished and evolved the repair procedures for nomax sandwich radoms of Lockheed Hercules C-130. The human resource training program was successfully conducted in coordination with universities by offering graduate courses and supervising PhD, MS and UG research. Has significantly cut the production cost by optimal resource mobilization, reducing part rejection and saving millions of US$s. I have wide ranging composites leadership experience and R&D knowledge to deliver the vision, strategy & make recommendations on the future direction in composites, define benchmarks and identify opportunities for technology growth as outlined on web site; http://cemecomposites.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Dr-Zafar-Composite-Show1.pdf
-Industry Professor; University of Engineering & Technology (UET), Taxila, Pakistan, Faculty of Mechanical & Aeronautical Engineering.
-Visiting Professor; National University of Sciences & Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- School of Chemical & Materials Engineering.
- School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering.
- College of Electrical & Mechanical Engineering.
-Adjunct Professor; Institute of Space Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan.
-Honorary Professor; Australian Institute of High Energetic Materials, Monash, Australia
Achievements: Pioneered establishing Smart Structures Laboratory at University of Engineering & Technology, Taxila, Pakistan to effectively supervise PhD*/ MS research students and provide on hands practical experience to the students as part of university-industry outreach program.
-Dean (Chief Instructor)/ Associate Professor, Sep 27, 1999 - Nov 07, 2001.
-Founding Chair/ Associate Professor, Feb 3, 1997 – Sep 26, 1999, Nov 3, 1993 – Aug 14, 1995.
-Assistant Professor, Jun 1, 1992 – Nov 2, 1993.
Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Electrical & Mechanical Engineering, National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST), Peshawar Road, Rawalpindi, Pakistan.
Achievements: Pioneered establishing fully functional Department of Mechanical Engineering as Founding Chairperson and launched split graduate program in Mechanical Engineering specializing in Mechanics and Materials in collaboration with Michigan State University, USA, established student chapter of Society of Experimental Mechanics and revised curriculum according to industrial requirements.
- Initiated graduate program, course development, faculty and staff induction, laboratory improvement, accreditation and staff training in collaboration with Michigan State University.
- Strengthened academic standing of Electrical, Mechanical, Computer and Mechatronics Engineering Departments to meet the requirements of accreditation commission.
-Visiting Professor, Aug 24, 1995 – Feb 1, 1997.
Department of Aerospace Engineering & Engineering Mechanics, Iowa State University, IA 50010, USA*.
- Mechanics of Composite Materials
- Failure Modes in Composite Structures due to Drilling
- Assessment of layer waviness defect by fabricating wavy layers in carbon fiber - epoxy laminates and compression tested according to ASTM standards.
- On-line Structural Health Monitoring System by embedding micro bend fiber optic sensors in composite laminates for assessing layer waviness defects.
- Double cantilever beam adhesion testing according to ASTM standards.
- Pioneered collaborative program in aerospace engineering with Iowa State University that was appreciated by US Senator Tom Harkin.
-Part time Lecturer/ Research Assistant/ Demonstrator, Oct, 1988 - Sep 1991.
Department of Aeronautical & Mechanical Engineering, Salford University. Manchester, UK.
- Solid Mechanics
- Engineering Drawing
- Drill life determination in carbon fiber composite laminate by drill dynamometer, photo elastic stress analysis.
- Fractographic analysis of carbon fiber surface morphology and damage mechanics by Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and Linear Elastic
- Characterizations of tungsten carbide/cobalt microstructure by SEM and pin-on-disk wear test.